Since I'm more or less at a stall with the outside (I need shingles and quite frankly I've decided to wait till my next trip to the states to get them, as I'm just not interested in paying the shipping to get them here. Also, I'm planning on ordering quite a few supplies on my next trip back, so I'll just get it all then.
So I've been focusing time on creating some furnishings for the inside. Being it's a shabby chic palette, I'm either creating using eclectic items and finishes, or I'm re-creating via older items. Here's what I have soo far:
This was an old couch that I have no idea where I got, but for some reason it has stuck in my stuff. I guess I just always saw 'something' in it, but never knew what, till now.
It was way to long for the this cottage, so I removed the red velvet pads,
took the rest of the already broke arms off (BTW, the 1 arm has been broke for years and the other arm broke while doing this..so I guess their even now)
Update on this project farther down.
Next I wanted a little table for in front of the bench
I had purchased a set of shutters that I was going to use to make a kitchen table, then I was going to use them as the breakfast bar for the center island that I was going to build for the cabin, and since neither of those ideas seem to want to be born, I decided on a coffee size table.
I cut the shutter down to half, and then used some legs I had left over from another kit that I didn't use them on and came up with this.
Then I painted, sanded and rubbed with walnut ink.
I'm still planning on doing a bottom cushion and possibly a back cushion and some pillows for the little love seat, but I haven't made any firm decisions on fabrics yet, so I want to hold off until I do.
Since I've changed my plans for the inside, I had to come up with a table and chairs, here's how I created the table
I cut some of my trusty pipe to the correct height (FYI, I also figured out the reason I had problems last time I cut pipe was that my pipe cutter tool needed to be tightened up, once I did that, it cut like a dream. How silly)
Next I cut a table top circle from some Balsa wood.
I like to give the entire piece a coat of wood glue then, it really firms up the wood.
For some 'legs' or decoration on the bottom I went to my bins of things and came up with this
I bent the pages holder things and set them to dry (FYI, I used Loctite Gel Control Super Glue)
Then I attached them to the bottom of my pipe.
Next I used some fun tape I had picked up at Joann's in the states around the outside edge, then I used a scrap of the wallpaper to add center color (I attached using the dry mount tissue and monocote iron I talked about last month for wallpapering) and then I added a little trim around the edge. I'm not 100% sure if I like the 2 patterns on top together yet or not, but I'm holding tight until I figure more stuff out...things tend to come together at some point: :)
I didn't have any chairs, so I had to build these from scratch.
Now that I have a basic pattern I like though, I had one of my many "your soo stupid, why didn't you think of that before" moments and started a file for patterns so next time I'm not starting that far back.
Here is the table and chairs thus far. I will be adding chair pads, but once again that is on hold awaiting fabric decisions...and I'm guessing that decision hasn't been made because I don't have any fabric here that I just love with this project, so....that hunt will also be on soon :)
I'm SUPER in love with using House of Miniature kits! I love not having to start from scratch, I can never get 2 pieces of wood to be cut exactly the same, and I don't have the right tools to do any kind of detail work, so I managed to score a couple lots on e-bay last year and now I just pull from that bin when I need to. This bench seemed soo odd to me, until yesterday, when it became the perfect piece for my porch. As you can see, I don't finish the kits ANYTHING like they did :)
Being the outside of my cottage is a different hue (hue? is hue the correct word? O'well...my blog :) hue of pink, I was able to choose this amazing fabric to use on the porch, I just love it!
I needed something tall for the inside, so I pulled out this clock. I'm not 100% in love with how the actual clock up top came out, I wish I would have made better choices, but I'm going to live with it.
Getting back to my idea to keep patters, stupid me should have kept all the patterns from all the kits I've done before as on each one is a full size pattern of each piece it took to build them...well these 2 are going in my file now. Better to start late then never start at all I guess.
It seems the more I do like this, the more I love this part of my hobby. I think I'll start doing some more hunting on line for scream'n deals on kits and odd 'n ends pieces. I have a great friend in the states that lets me have things shipped to him and then when I come through I pick it all up...so if anyone has any pieces or kits they want to part with, let me know, maybe we can make a deal :)