Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 2: My (dis) love (updated May 14, 2013) for American Miniaturist Magazine

I recently learned of the magazine American Miniaturist. How you may ask? (Or I shall ask for you :)  In my new obsession to read, learn, and look at all things miniature, along with my desire to show my husband that I too was capable of spending a little money on a hobby (that beer stuff sure added up fast...and still continues to) I started a new "game" I call e-bay.  I should probably add that I recently got an IPhone, and then found the e-bay app, which dramatically enhanced my desire to play the e-bay "game".  Anyway, I started playing the game with miniature magazines...and WOW, was I good at this game. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not very good at video games, so to finally find one that I'm good at, made me want to play it all the time.  The best part of this game is truly the prizes!  And I won A LOT of them!  In one of my prize packages was 4 issues of American Miniaturist magazine.  I instantly fell in love with this magazine, up and beyond any other magazine or book.  It is a great size, handy to slip into a purse, so I can always have a copy on me when I'm stuck somewhere.  The printing and pictures are amazing.  The projects are awesome, and every issue has a "snippets" page, which are cutouts.  My e-bay game forever changed that day.  I started playing just for this prize.  To date I have 51 of 98 issues published, I'm a current subscriber, and I'm still playing the e-bay game for the missing issues. 

After I started really getting into this magazine, I thought how great it would be to have a list of all the projects, ideas, and tips in the magazine, that way when I get into a project, and I'm looking for ideas, or how to make things for it, I can reference my list and go right to the issues.  On top of that, it's a great way to look at each issue.  So that brings me to today.  I walked outside my house about 4:30 to let the dogs out, and realized it was about 15 degrees warmer outside than in, and I had been freezing all day.  So I grabbed a stack of magazines and my laptop and sat on my front porch and started a spreadsheet.  about 7:30 the mosquito's came out to have me for dinner, so I went into the house, but then instantly had this great idea, it was still really nice out, so why not build a fire in the back yard and enjoy the evening, that should keep the little biters at bay.  Who says you need to have friends over to have a bon-fire!  So here I now sit, alone by the fire, basking in all the mini ideas that have been running through my head.  I should post a few more old pictures, and get on with telling you about the house I'm currently working on and all the cool stuff I did to the exterior of it in the past few days...but I think I'll just keep it too myself for a little longer....I'll give ya a hint though, it's cooler than I imagined and I'm actually freak'n proud of how it's turning out.

Update May 14, 2013...I'm soo beyond frustrated with not only how horrible American Miniaturist's handles customer service, the inconsistencies in their Imag (digital magazines, which is all I get anymore from any magazines) and their complete lack of anything NEW thats actually miniature related, that I now regret the last subscription renewal I did...and for the record I didn't just wake up and feel this one day, they've been pushing me to this point for about a year and a half now.

No comments:

Post a Comment